West Gazette

Eagles Win Super Bowl 53

Rami Hanin, Web Editor

As the clock struck 0, and Eagles fans erupted in the stands, it’s almost impossible not to look back on that fateful fourth quarter. Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback, and one of the undisputed greatest quarterbacks to play Football, began to show why he was the best. Nicknamed the “Comeback Kid” in his early career, Brady had 11 game-winning drives in the fourth quarter or overtime in his playoff career, and to all observers it looked like he was going to do it again. A Patriots offence that hadn’t punted, and a red hot Gronkowski had football fans expecting the same Patriots comeback that has happened time and time again.

And then Brandon Graham happened. With his strip sack on Tom Brady during Brady’s would be game winning drive, Graham sealed the deal for the first Philadelphia championship since 1960. For the third best defence in all of football, that play was enough to end the hopes and dreams of Patriots fans across the nation. When Brandon Graham knocked the football out of Brady’s hand before he could let it go, most spectators knew deep within them it was over.

—–

When people look back on this Super Bowl in several years, they’ll remember the spectacular play of Backup quarterback Nick Foles, which earned him Super bowl MVP. They’ll remember Brady’s spectacular 500 passing yards in a losing effort, and the defence that abandoned him. Yet to the people in Philadelphia, and Eagles fans across the country, when they look back on this Super Bowl, they’ll feel joy. The joy of a steamrolling season, with sophomore quarterback Carson Wentz tearing through the league. Then, the sadness of heartbreak, as Carson Wentz went down with a torn ACL, and with him apparently all of the Eagles Super Bowl aspirations. Then finally, the Joy once again, of ending one of the longest Super Bowl droughts in all of the NFL, and of finally bringing an NFL championship back to Philly.

Fly Eagles Fly, Congratulations to the Winners.