The Problem with Senioritis: It’s Not an Excuse

Nick Weinman, Managing Editor

Have you ever had a paper that you didn’t realize was due until the next day? How about a project that you don’t realize isn’t done until the day it’s due? If this has happened to you, you’ve probably been hit with a major case of senioritis. “What is senioritis?”, you may ask. Senioritis is the lack of drive and focus needed to complete anything in your classes, usually spurred on by the simple fact that this is your last year of school and all the hard classes are out of the way. While this isn’t necessarily wrong, it’s always still good to keep up with things instead of falling behind.

One could describe the effects of senioritis as just simple laziness and procrastination, and it’s not wrong to describe it that way, but the simple fact of the matter is that the whole situation is caused by the feeling that classes in your last year either aren’t as important or that you’ve earned the right to slack off. While that sounds like a good enough reason, it’s still pretty irresponsible to go ahead and mess up your grades for some sense of entitlement to an easy time. Moving on, it can be said that nobody put behind by all of this is a lost cause. Just keeping yourself up to date and focused is really the answer. If you do still end up falling behind, try to get some help from a teacher or maybe take a step back and reevaluate a couple of habits that may keep you from getting things done. This is easier said than done sometimes, of course, but it’s better to try than just give up. What you do with your time is nobody else’s business, but you should do the work here and now for yourself. It can help solidify good habits and keep you on track for the future.

So how do you feel about this? Is this help to question some of your habits? If so, then that’s good. Everybody deserves the chance to succeed and that chance shouldn’t be thrown away over a little laziness. Good luck with the rest of the semester and your futures.