The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

West Gazette

THE END IS NEAR!

Bethany Cutkomp

It is that time of the year again. The end of the year is upon us, but it’s a rough road ahead. Everything is all closing in, crushing down on you until you become overwhelmed. Graduation, EOC exams, AP tests, prom, the ACT, finals, and more. Balance that with homework and extracurricular activities, and now you’ve got a lot on your plate. If this dark cloud of doom isn’t looming over your head yet, it’s sure to come rolling in within the next few weeks. Whether you’re one to be on top of your work, or you’re a full-on procrastinator, you might be feeling a little worried. Here are some tips on how you can prevent this last-minute panic and knock this year out of the park.

1. Relax

The first step to success is to breathe and relax. You don’t want to spontaneously combust during an exam or event, and you also wouldn’t want to lose it before that either. While you should take the end of the year seriously, it is not life or death. Testing anxiety affects many students and makes it hard to concentrate, but freaking out is not the solution. As simple as it sounds, stepping back and breathing for a few moments can save you from unnecessary panic.

1. Study

However, before you get to this moment of panic, you should try to prevent it. Why should you panic about a test if you can prepare for it ahead of time? Manage your time by writing important upcoming events on your calendar or set reminders on your phone. Setting aside time to study at least a week before the test can be helpful. Even studying for five minutes a day will both help you feel more confident for the test and give you a better chance of knowing the material. Nothing is worse than cramming information in your head the night before, or worse, a few minutes before class begins. Giving yourself time to study will surely help in the long-run.

Keep control of the time you have. It’s best to balance out studying with homework, extracurricular activities, and frequent breaks. For all of you procrastinators out there, this is your reminder to get to work as soon as possible. The sooner you complete your projects and studying, the less you have to worry. Time management is important when you’re being pelted with work and upcoming deadlines.

Studying does not have to be agonizing, as some may believe it to be. Gather a group of friends and pick a place to prep together. There are study rooms offered for a certain amount of time at the public library if you’re looking to study someplace quiet. If quiet isn’t for you, pick somebody’s house, or get outside. Bring your study materials, food, and possibly music. However you choose to prepare for an upcoming event, make sure that it is right for you so that you will succeed.

1. Take Care Of Yourself

Outside of studying, your overall health plays a factor in your success. Taking care of yourself can go a long way. You’ve probably heard your teacher say something along the lines of “get a good night’s sleep and eat a big breakfast”. Believe it or not, there is a reason they tell you this.

Sleep is crucial to your health and your mental performance. Pulling all-nighters to study will do nothing but turn you into a grumpy exhausted wreck. Sleeping for eight hours is the ideal routine, but try to get at least six hours of shut-eye before the day of an exam. This gives your brain time to recharge and to improve learning. If you think that skipping sleep and staring at notes all night will get you a better grade, you’re in for disappointment. Getting a full night of sleep will do more benefit than harm.

This may come as a surprise, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating before going to school can improve school performance and test scores. Food increases energy and concentration that is needed to get through the day. A few brain foods that improve memory, reduce stress, and boost concentration include apples, blueberries, nuts, eggs, leafy greens, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and even a little chocolate. Try not to load up on sugar or caffeine right before an important test, because it will lead you to mentally crash. No matter what you decide, just make sure that you eat something so that you’re not hungry and energy-deprived during the day.

A little exercise may help out too. If you’re going to be stuck in a chair and filling in bubbles for long periods of time, it wouldn’t hurt to get up and moving before and after. Stretching and walking have been known to improve both physical and mental abilities. Not only will you feel good, but you will also feel better about your score.

1. Keep Up The Positivity

Optimism is key when it comes to a tough road of back-to-back events. While tests can be stressful, you shouldn’t let them consume your life. Frequently, you should give yourself time to do what you’d like to do. If you balance out the stress with something fun, this time of the year shouldn’t be so bad.

Remind yourself of the good that comes with the end of the year. For the upperclassmen, prom is coming around the corner. Seniors are getting very close to graduating. Summer is almost here, which is something to get excited about. If you allow yourself to look hard enough, you’ll see that the light is indeed at the end of the tunnel.

You may feel like the entire universe is against you. You’re going to be pummeled with deadlines, projects, standardized tests, and final exams. It is a lot to digest, but you can’t let it hinder your performance. Relax, study, take care of yourself, and keep up the positivity. Look the end of the year dead in the eye and embrace it.

The end is near, and you can conquer it. You are fully capable of success, so go achieve it.