The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

West Gazette

What you Need to Know: Local Politics

Ishmaiah Moore, Reporter

Many young adults tune out a soon as they hear anything that has  to do with politics. Little do you know politics, especially local politics can be easy to understand and enthralling.  When you are aware of and involved in what is going on in your hometown you helping to shape and improve everyday life. If you’re not in favor of the way your schools are run; or if a local law contradicts your values you have the power to change that. In many instances you can even do so before you’re 18.

Hazelwood school district recently held elections. Three seats on the Hazelwood School District board were up for at-large general election on April 4, 2017. A total of six candidates filed for the seats. Board incumbent Brenda C. Youngblood faced challengers Mark Behlmann, Margo McNeil, Elizabeth Rachel, Marcus Allen, and Benton Smith. Youngblood, Behlmann, and McNeil won the election. Although you have to be 18 to vote in the elections and 24 to run, you are still able to research the candidates and help to keep those who are able to vote informed.

For the second year in a row, St.Louis city has been presented with the opportunity to finance a very expensive sports stadium. This time around, it was a $60 million soccer stadium. This project, if approved would have been financed by tax dollars. City voters turned down the proposal by a 53 to 47 percent vote.  Many are still up in arms about this turn out. However all hopes are not lost, a GoFundMe page has been started for the project.

In the house The Missouri General Assembly’s Black Caucus is attacking a bill that makes it harder for fired workers to prove discrimination. If Senate Bill gets 43 votes it passes, and an employee would only have to prove that, among other things, sex, race, religion or sexual orientation is the main reason for being let go. Currently, he, she or they have to prove it was one of a few factors. The bill has passed the Missouri Senate, and now is before the state House.

If you are looking to get to know our lawmakers, representative Franks is a good person to start with. Franks just accomplished his first victory persuading the Republican-controlled Missouri House to restore funding for a jobs program that Gov. Eric Greitens wants to cut entirely. The amendment sponsored by Bruce Franks would put $6 million toward the state’s youth summer jobs program in St. Louis and Kansas City.

Though politics can be intricate and confusing, it is your civic duty to insure that your voice is heard in the fight to improve the world around you.