The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

West Gazette

Music Timeline

B.J. Croft, Reporter

Music, the vocal or instrumental sound that is combined in such a way to make harmony, and expression of emotion. Musicologists believe that music has been around for over 55,000 years. The earliest form of music was prehistoric music. Prehistoric Music might have been made using sticks and rocks. In 4000 BCE the Egyptians created early forms of the harp and flute and in 2500 BCE in Denmark an early form of the trumpet was made.

The first recorded form of lyrics was found in cuneiform from roughly around 800 BCE.

Ancient Rome and Greece took the idea of music a step forward. Music was used scientifically with folk songs and the early stages of opera.

After the Dominance of the Roman Empire, music took its next form; music was commissioned by the church in late 600CE. Following the church era, in the middle ages came the Renaissance in 1465. Music in this time period were writings of opera, this is where opera was first recorded.

From the Prehistoric ages to today, music has evolved due to the advancement in technology. From instruments to just cooking up beats in the studio, music is a great inspiration to humanity.

Today, music has many different types of music genres like Blues, Jazz, Rock, Folk, Hip Hop, Reggae, Pop, Punk rock, Funk, Techno, Country, Electronic dance, Heavy metal, Disco, etc.

Country music originated in 1927. One of the America’s first versions of modern music. Country music is a combination of folk music from the British Isles and African American Blues. The music made its light, out of the southeastern states of United States. It began using instruments like acoustic guitars, mandolin, autoharp, fiddle, and banjo.

Country music is broken down into five generations. The first generation began in the 1920s. A popular artist of this time was Fiddlin John Carson, creating his first hit single “Little Log Cabin in the Lane”. The second generation began in the 1930s to the 1940s. Music in this time related more to the emotions due to the great depression, and WWI. The third generation is the style country music we live in today the combinations with country and other genres like pop and rock and roll.

Now what is Rock and Roll? Just like Country music, Rock and roll is made up from multiple types of sounds like gospel, jazz, boogie woogie, and rhythm and blues. Rock and Roll began in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The music began with using string instruments like guitars and electric guitars, combined with drums.

A musical genre doesn’t just appear, it gradually evolves until an artist can accommodate enough popularity and establish a particular sound people would like to hear. Well In 1947 Wynonie Harris recorded a hit single with rhythm records called “ Good Rockin Tonight.” This gave Rock and Roll the buzz it was looking for. Following the hit single many other hit artist released musical genius like Elvis Presley, David Bowie, and Chuck Berry. With Rock and Roll came the creations of rock bands like The Beatles, AC/DC, and the New York recording band KISS.   

KISS wasn’t the only thing that happened in New York, another influential music genre in the south Bronx began. Hip Hop, created by African American and Latino Teens in the 1970s. With Hip Hop came two other forms of art breakdancing and graffiti. With technology advancing, Hip Hop consisted of hard beats and electronic sounds. Popular Hip Hop artist were Biggie Smalls, NWA, 2Pac, and Missy Elliot.
Music is Influenced by all aspects including social, and economic organization and experience, climate and access to technology. Music has evolved From The Prehistoric days, the Middle ages, the Renaissance, the Classical times, and to all the music we here today. Music is constantly evolving, someday there will be a new music genre of the 2010s.