The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

West Gazette

Is HWHS a Black Hole?

Ishmaiah Moore, Reporter

Hazelwood West High is considered to be the academic gem of the Hazelwood School District, however that gem might be losing its gleam.  With the overcasting shadow of a 74% graduation rate, are students able to meet their full potential or is this environment a black hole for success?

It’s no secret that many students arrive at Hazelwood West High School every weekday morning at 7:00 wishing they could be anywhere else. This type of apathetic attitude toward learning may be creating a dark void for those who are intentional about their education.  

“It’s frustrating how a lot of the people don’t take school seriously. It can be distracting and make learning more difficult,” said Elena Marchenko, sophomore. Many students can relate to her in her insights about the atmosphere of our community. In fact, many students are deeply bothered by how other students are disregarding the value of the quality education offered by HWHS.

Nigerian student Jeremie Osaghae-Nosa states that he “dislikes the mindset of the students.” He continues, “I’ve seen the downsides of life being from Nigeria, and I wish people had more appreciation.”

So why is it that many students can’t find the benefit in applying themselves in high school?

Teacher Terrance Manker said, “A lot of students don’t see the benefit because they are young. They are looking for instant gratification.”

As it turns out this is not solely a HWHS problem, but a real quandary facing many students across the globe. “Lack of motivation is a real and pressing problem. Upwards of 40 percent of high school students are chronically disengaged from school,” according to a 2003 National Research Council report on motivation.

If 40% of students everywhere feel this way then maybe we ought not be so harsh on the students here.

Scott Borcherding, former student and current math teacher, believes the solution to solving the problem at our school is to “be more encouraging as a community.” He also adds, “When I was a student here we were known for our school spirit.”  

Maybe if we take his advice and tap into our schools historic enthusiasm and create a more positive education environment we can start to climb out of this black hole and see our school as the catalyst for success it is.

Overall, when asked to speak on this school’s learning environment many students had very positive things to say. Here are some of their statements.

“If you are struggling or need help in a class teachers are always there to help. It’s nice knowing that there is a community of support here.”- Jeremie Osaghae-Nosa.

“I love the extra curricular opportunities. Many people might have a difficult home situation but here they have a safe place they can go to after school.” – Hannah Walls

“There is a community for everyone here, no matter your interest you will most likely be able to find friends and feel like you belong.”- Krissona Smith

1 Comment

One Response to “Is HWHS a Black Hole?”

1. Renae Passe on April 30th, 2017 11:57 am

Love this! So encouraging for all!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

Opinion

Bruce’s 2017 NFL Mock Draft

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

Opinion

Attention, Seniors!

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

A&E

A Tale as Old as Time

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

News

Protesting For The Future

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

A&E

Cardinal Outlook

• A&E

Easy and Everyday Eye Looks

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

A&E

How to Maintain Natural Hair through Winter Months

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

News

Looking Back On Writers Week

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

A&E

Makeup Review: Buxom Lip Creams

• Is HWHS a Black Hole?

A&E

Black Excellence in Cinema

Is HWHS a Black Hole?