The Student News Site of Hazelwood West High School

West Gazette

Attention, Seniors!

Mya Hardison, Reporter

With graduation  being a few weeks away, the pressure is rising.  We are consumed with getting projects turned in, making a choice between schools you might want to go to, and getting closer and closer to adulthood. Some of us, aren’t even sure what we want to do after high school.  But then again, some of us have our futures already planned out.  It’s scary, feeling like you don’t have enough time to accomplish all these things, but in all honesty: we have time.

Don’t think that just because you have a “deadline” that you can’t take it easy. Catch your breath. You will graduate, you will move forward, and you will prosper.  Feeling like you have someone constantly on your back about grades, college, and other school related things is overwhelming. We all need a break.  Even if you’re undecided, you still have until October or November to apply,  that’s almost 7 months to make a decision.

Community College is an option. Some people might say that going to Community College isn’t ideal, but in all honesty, not all students can afford to go to a D1 University, so community college would be their only option. It’s cheaper, and you can take all the same classes you would at a university. Even if you don’t go to college right away, you still have that option later on.

So don’t feel bad if all your friends are excited about college, and you don’t even know what you want for dinner tonight. It’s your life, if you want to travel the world, write a novel, or do something even more courageous before college, it’s okay, because you have the time to do it.  

“I’m excited but afraid at the same time, because this is where my life starts,” said senior Mikayla Foster. She wants to go to Flo Valley for the first 2 years for her basic courses and later wants to go to UMKC to study Biology.  

Lauren Robertson said, “I’m really excited to see what the future has in store for me.” She plans to attend Southeast Missouri State for law, but isn’t sure what law school to attend in the future.  

Although some students want to go to college right away, other students might feel differently.  Lauren Seidner, a Senior at Hazelwood Central, said, “It doesn’t feel like we only have less than a month left until graduation, time flies!”  She later added, “you don’t have to go to college right away, because it isn’t for everyone.” She also wants to attend college in the future.

It’s okay to not have a plan right away, and it’s okay to feel scared about what’s going to happen in the future, but it’s up to YOU to have good judgement, and to stay positive no matter what happens. So relax, summer is around the corner, and remember class of 2017, we’re all going to make it out in one piece.