West Gazette

Kendrick Lamar Wins Pulitzer

Devon Webster, Sports Editor

On Monday April 16th, 2018 famed rapper from Compton, Kendrick Lamar was awarded a Pulitzer prize. This was awarded to him due to his efforts on his latest full length LP, DAMN. this is specifically prestiges for Kendrick as he is the first rapper to be given the award. Most musicians to receive this award in the past consist of mostly classical or jazz artists like Jennifer Higdon, julia Wolfe, and John Luther Adams. The Pulitzer Prize website described the album as saying it is, “a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life.” not only is DAMN critically acclaimed, it topped the charts in america and canada, it also won Best Rap album at the 2018 Grammys. The album was nominated for Album of the Year but lost to Bruno Mars’ album, 24K Magic. This album was backed by an impressive track listing featuring hit singles “Humble”, “Loyalty”, and “Love” as well as non- single songs, “DNA”, and “Element”. This has opened up a new door for rappers and non classical/jazz musicians to be awarded a Pulitzer prize so this has been nothing short of exciting and groundbreaking for Kendrick Lamar.