West Gazette

Senior Perspectives of Theatre

Bethany Cutkomp, Editor-In-Chief

For audience members, theatre is watching an entertaining or moving performance for one night. What they don’t see is all of the hard work and effort that goes into one performance, let alone four years of it. Here are four seniors that have been involved with theatre for their high school careers and their stories.

“Theatre is my second family. I couldn’t have asked for better people to spend my high school career with,” said Sarah Miloshewski. Sarah has been involved in several plays throughout her years in high schools. As a sophomore, she played Annie in the musical Annie. This year, she was the shy but passionate Sister Mary Robert in the musical Sister Act.

President of Thespian Troupe 786, Julia Makarsky said, “I have had such an amazing time participating in theatre. I have learned so many valuable lessons on stage and off stage that have helped make me a better person. And being president has just been like the cherry on top.” Julia has been involved with a majority of the shows, both in acting and behind the scenes. This year she had the experience of ending her high school acting career as the bold Sister Mary Lazarus in Sister Act.

“After 15 shows in four years I can honestly say theatre has shaped me in more ways than one and has taught me the importance of communication and understanding others as well as leadership and creative thinking. It made a pathway into finding what I wanted to do with my life. I’ve made strong relationships through the program and it helped me come out of my shell as well as helped others to do the same. I’m extremely lucky that I’ve gotten this wonderful experience,” said Aisy Bradshaw. Aisy has been involved both on stage and off stage in her theatre experience. She was casted as a loyal nun in her last performance of high school.

Alex Olson said, “I’ve done every show since freshman year. I’ve had the honor of acting, doing crews, and being a thespian officer. With this being my last musical, I’m very heartbroken, but very excited for the future generation of the Troupe. Break a leg and I love you all.” Alex has been casted as several different roles, showing his capability to change for his characters. He had the experience of being different characters in his last musical, Sister Act.

Theatre is not all that the audience sees. There is much more to it, including friendships, teamwork, time, effort, and life changing experiences. These seniors are sad to leave, but will be walking away with an experience that they will never forget, thanks to the opportunities theatre had to offer them.