West Gazette

Say No to Plastic Straws

Bethany Cutkomp, Editor-In-Chief

Think about how many times you have had a drink this week. A bunch, right? During those times, how many times have you used a straw? These questions may seem irrelevant, because people from all around are used to it. However, a majority of people don’t realize how dangerous plastic straws are to the environment. Here’s why we should stop using them.

Plastic does not break down naturally. That means every time you use a plastic straw and throw it away, it clogs up the landfills and the oceans. More than 500 million plastic straws are used every day. Think about it. That is more than 500 million plastic straws being thrown away and further polluting the Earth per day.

Straws impact wildlife greatly. Because they are so small, wildlife often tries to eat it and ends up choking on the plastic. Suffocation leads to death among a wide spectrum of wildlife, such as sea turtles and penguins among a large majority.

The more we continue to throw away straws after a brief amount of time to use them, the bigger effect it’s going to have on our world. In order to cease the imminent path that we are heading on, we need to start acting now.

Movements have been started to ban plastic straws in certain places. Instead, new and better options are offered, such as biodegradable materials such as paper. Using paper instead of plastic will give the straw a chance to break down naturally once thrown away.

Declining straws is an easy way to start. It is simple to ask for no straws at a restaurant or public place. In a similar way, refrain from using plastic straws at home. Use another option such as a reusable straw.

It may not seem like much as an individual, but if a vast majority of people can participate, a change will be made. Make the right choice and say no to straws. The environment will thank you in the future.